The parasitoid Anagyrus pseudococci is a solitary internal parasitoid of mealybugs. It belongs to the family Encyrtidae of the Mediterranean origin. Anagyrus pseudococci is a well-known parasitoid of Planococcus spp. and Pseudococcus spp. mealybugs in greenhouses as well as field and fruit crops worldwide.
Anagyrus pseudococci specializes on the citrus mealybug (Planococcus citri), the grape mealybug (Pseudococcus maritimus), the vine mealybug (Planococcus ficus) and the cypress mealybug (Planococcus vovae).
Anagyrus pseudococci is efficient in fruit tree orchards, vineyards and protected crops like ornamentals and vegetables.
Anagyrus pseudococci’s adults show marked sexual dimorphism: the female is about 1.5-2 mm in length and brown, with distinctive black and white banded antennae. The male is smaller (0.8-0.9 mm in length), black in colour bearing an arch-like pair of antennae. The other stages of development occur inside the host.
BioAnagyrus – The Product
- BioAnagyrus is an exclusive and innovative product– it takes the form of mummies containing the parasitoid’s pupa, rather than adult wasps. Thus the product reaches its destination everywhere in the world when it is “fresh”, with no mortality in shipping and with enhanced performance.
- The package contains 250 mummified mealybugs mixed in sawdust. It is especially designed to prevent ants from penetrating inside, yet enabling the parasitic wasps to emerge undisturbed. At least 50% of the emerging adults are females.
- BioAnagyrus complements the mealybug destroyer, Cryptolaemus montrouzieri, (BioCryptolaemus), a predatory beetle for the control of mealybugs and soft scales.
- BioAnagyrus is utilized both indoors and outdoors.
- BioAnagyrus is compatible with selective conventional chemicals (according to the list of pesticides approved by BioBee).
- Adult wasps will emerge from the mummies within one to five days (depending upon the ambient temperature). Immediately upon emergence, the wasps will mate and begin searching for suitable hosts i.e. third instar larvae or adult mealybugs.
- To apply the product, remove the lid, expose the double sided adhesive surface of the label (to protect the contents of the package from ants) and place the bottle in a shady place, protected from rain or dew, preferably close to a mealybug-infested spot. Following their emergence, the wasps will fly out of the bottle and disperse in between the plants. Do not sprinkle the mummies actively from the bottle.
- If ants are present at the mealybug hotspots, they must be destroyed. Ants encourage honeydew secretion by the mealybugs, transfer them from one place to another and protect them by actively interfering with the parasitoid.
- BioAnagyrus is shipped in temperature controlled styrofoam boxes which must be kept intact until reaching the end-user.
- Keep the product at room temperature (not refrigerated!) until emergence has started (appearance of a few dozen parasitic wasps). Avoid direct exposure of the product to sunlight!!!
- Two-three weeks following BioAnagyrus release (depending upon temperature), mummified mealybugs can be clearly detected. The subsequent established generations of the parasitoid will effectively control the mealybugs in the longer run.
- BioAnagyrus introduction rate should be determined according to the nature of the crop and rate of mealybug infestation.
BioBee Sde Eliyahu Ltd. produces and markets biological products. Production is carried out using innovative techniques under controlled quality assurance standards such as ISO 9001:2008, as well as IOBC’s international standards for mass-production of insects.
All products are tested to meet specification requirements before leaving the factory.
BioBee is not responsible for the outcome of implementation in the field, as it has no control over the method of application, local conditions, treatment/storage of product not according to instructions, etc.